|Crichton Castle built in the
late 14th century by John de Crichton, was originally a Tower House. It
was John de Crichtons son, William Crichton (who was also at one time
Chancellor of Scotland) who later extended it from a Tower to the Castle
that we see ruined today.
Crichton family remained with the castle until 1483/4 when the 3rd Lord of
Crichton had his title and lands taken from him by King James III, who in
turn granted the land and castle to Sir John Ramsey of Bothwell, who later
became Lord Bothwell and Treasurer of Scotland. After the death of
JamesIII, Ramsey fled to England were he later died. When James IV came to
be King he granted the vacant title to Sir Patrick Hepburn.
Crichton Castle was now in the Earldom of
Bothwell, it was to stay with the Bothwells for the remainder of its days.
The most striking alterations to the
castle were carried out by the 5th Earl, Francis Stewart in the late 16th
century, an elaborate courtyard with diamond shaped stones in the
renaissance style, which the 5th Earl may have copied from one of his many
visits to Spain + Italy.
Situation: 10 miles south east of
Edinburgh on the A68 2miles south west of the village Pathead