We know that the first Lord
of Strathbogie received the lands from King William the Lion at the end of
the 12th century. He built a Castle made of timber on a man made
mound close to the river Deveron and later around 1376 this was replaced
with a large stone tower house as the Gordon settled in Strathbogie. The
tower was itself replaced with a larger more spacious structure about 1450,
the Castle was also known at this time as the "Strathbogie Castle" and
various, frequent reconstruction’s of the Castle took place over the next
two hundred years.
Situated near the Castle
was the village of Strathbogie, built along a mediaeval highway with fords
crossing the Rivers Deveron and Bogie was for a long time, only of a long
row of cottages (often referred to as the "Raws of Strathbogie"). The
village, through the development of milling and cloth weaving and by the
accompanying status of the village being raised to a Burgh of Barony in
1488, in favour of George 2nd Earl of Huntly, was soon to be
turned into a thriving market town.
The Reformation saw Huntly
as one of the main strongholds of the Catholic faith in Scotland. Priests of
the Counter Reformation flocked, either to the Castle or one of the
prominent Gordon Lairds for sanctuary. The Reformation, Bishop’s Wars and
the Civil War of the 17th century saw armies frequently traverse
Strathbogie causing great hardship to its people. When Alexander, 2nd Duke
of Gordon died, his widow raised her son Duke Cosmo as a protestant and so
the link between the chief of the Gordon’s and Catholicism was severed.
In the 18th century
prosperity came to Huntly due to the expansion in the production of linen in
the town. Brought largely, by the expertise of Irishman Hugh McVeagh who
settled in Huntly in 1731. At its height Huntly’s Linen manufacturing
accounted for one third of all Scotland’s Linen produce. Sadly the industry
collapsed at the start of the 19th century with the introduction
of cheap imported cotton good s from the Americas.
1770 saw plans drawn up by
Alexander, 4th Duke of Gordon for the town’s enlargement. Huntly
prior to this consisted of Old Road, Castle Street, the Square and several
lanes leading of it. The Dukes new streets were laid out in a grid system
(not unlike the Basque Towns in France) and many of the fews were sold of
for houses and factories.
From his estate, Duke
Alexander in 1793 raised a new regiment with valuable help from his wife
Jane Maxwell who is said to have "kissed every new recruit". With it’s own
Tartan, woven by Mr Forsyth a weaving manufacturer in the Square, the
Regiment was soon to be known as the ‘Gordon Highlanders’ and retained
strong links with the Town of Huntly until its amalgamation with the Queens
Own Highlanders in 1995.
The son of the 4th Duke was
George who married Elizabeth Brodie, a wealthy heiress. George had no son to
follow him and so was the last Duke of Gordon. After his death, the Duchess
Elizabeth built the Gordon Schools as a memorial to her late husband. The
eminent architect Archibald Simpson designed this fine building.
Many new industries in the
19th century made Huntly prosperous and this, accompanied by the
introduction of the railway to the town in 1854 further expanded business.
For a small town Huntly had an amazing verity of industry. Beer was brewed,
whisky distilled, agricultural machinery was made, several mills on the
Bogie produced cloth; there was a boot and shoe factory, a tinplate works
which manufactured, amongst many other things, lamps for ships, and a
millwright who supplied all sort of machinery for industry. There was even a
factory that made cigarettes! Most of these industries have disappeared but
to some extent new ones have taken their place.
© John A. Duncan of Sketraw,
KCN, FSA Scot.